Friday, March 22, 2013

United Nations International Happiness Day


. . .  was declared a National Holiday in Bhutan.  It was unclear to me for a while if that meant we would be at school for a program or not.  But a Holiday is a Holiday here and it was fun.  I began my day with a long relaxation meditation , then a hour walk up and over to the Dzong and back, yoga and a nice breakfast.  Afterwards I washed clothes of course, and marked papers until one of the teachers, Peldon, called at my balcony.  The female teachers were playing basketball against the girl captains for fun.  I went out to watch and actually played.  Me.  Basketball.  Probably my least favourite game.  I had a riot racing up and down the court.  I actually scored a basket - almost a 3 pointer actually.  The ball just floated into the basket.  If there are assists in basketball I had a few of those.  Imagine me, Heather Robertson,  dribbling up the court and passing to Kelzang who pops it into the hoop.  Yup.  Me.  More than once. 
There was a lunch at the mess hall for the staff.  Nothing to write home about so I will skip it.  As we were waiting for lunch the volleyball was being tossed around.  I joined in.  Last week I volleyed with some of the boys.  However today it did nothing good for my neck.  Rats.  I had so enjoyed the running in basketball, and was very pleased that my old body had held up.  The men had been playing darts (Khuru) which involves a fair amount of arra, the local rice wine brew. 
After lunch I cruised through the market and picked up a couple of items for my new digs. I feel incredibly wealthy as I was paid 19,600 nultrum.  What to spend it on?   I will need some to install internet, 2,000 for rent, some, maybe 2,000, for pawer and a minuscule amount for food.  Oh Yes, I toured the apartment yesterday with the vp and it looks amazing.  I feel like a bit of a princess, literally and figuratively.  It will definitely be the nicest teacher quarters, competing with the guest house where royalty and high ranking officials stay during visits, and is very much the talk of the town.  The inside has been painted a lovely shade of my favourite colour . . . blue. 
I watched the men play volleyball against a group from town.  There was tea break and it was all fun.  They offered  me a spot on the team, but just because I can volley in a circle does not mean that I can play the game.  I was also beat from a short game of basketball :)
The rest of the afternoon has been spent reading and marking the biographies my students have written.  It is difficult deciding what to help them with in terms of writing and grammar.  The structure of the language here differs and many of the teachers, both Indian and Bhutanese, use some sentence structures that we do not.  I know it is beginning to sift its way into my speech.  Hopefully not into my writing.  
I have been creating some interesting meals.  Last night I wanted comfort food.  I opened the one tin of tuna I had bought and made a sort of mac and cheese with rice noodles and tuna and ketchup (Heinz).  Tonight I put the rest of the tuna into rice and covered it all with a veggie "curry".   
Yesterday my students had a riot gleefully wishing me a Happy Happiness Day.  And today I did. 



Nima Zangmo, Deki Lhamo Dorji, and Dawa Dem, 3 of my 9-B class just after losing the quarter or semi final.  Not by much mind you.  And yes, the teachers lost also - by one basket. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great, fun day Heather! Too bad you don't have any photos of you playing basketball! :-) Glad to hear the not so old bod is holding up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's me in action.. 😂 thank you ma'am Heather for this picture..

    ReplyDelete