Wednesday, March 27, 2013

School Rimdro


Saturday was the annual blessing or puja at the school.  Wow what an interesting day.  The monks arrived early.  I was not sure what time to report but arrived just as two monks, two  mostly naked monks and the lama were starting the ceremony to chase way the evil spirits.  Unfortunatley my photos cut everyone's heads off.  I had dust and fire right at my feet and am hopefully purified. Then porridge with panner in it, chanting, beautiful altar, breakfast, chanting, offerings, lighting butter lamps, prostrating, sitting in the sun, lunch chanting.  The monks were chanting not me.  






I took the bus to Thimphu, wanted to go to the Paro Tshetchu but hotels were all full.  Shopped and met Dave from Pakshika near me, and Sarah Diamond my ex roommate from training for supper.  We brought cheap gin, tonic and limes to the restaurant and everything was yummy.  Western food, hot showers. I indulged at night and in the morning. 
This morning I got a taxi to Paro and watched the masked dancers.  Wow - as good or better than all of the photos I have seen.  Was a real tourist event but I loved it. Met Matt and Lucy (Australians I stayed with 2 weeks ago) and hung out.  Dave joined us for lunch in Paro after he saw Sarah off, and we hitched back together.  Got taxis mostly with great rides and timing.  Poor Dave gets to Gedu an hour south of here then has to find a ride down a 12 km back road.  He is not home yet and I have already had a yummy dinner. 
Asparagus is in season in Paro and although I saw it being sold on the side of the road, every time I tried to buy some could not!!! Drat.  I got real fresh home made tofu in Thimphu and had a delicious dinner with a green that grows in the forest here.  
Paro was warm and sunny.  Thimphu was sunny.  Actually everywhere 2 km north of here was sunny.  I arrived back and was walking up the hill and ran into a teacher.  "How was the weekend?"  I asked.  "Gloomy"  said he. 

No comments:

Post a Comment